Aube's wealth of sources of material
A sector with great potential in the area due to nearby sources of material and logistics facilities:
- Less than 2 hours from Ile de France, Orléans, Nancy, Reims and Dijon
- A5, A26 and A19 motorway links, the Paris-Belfort rail line and river connections (regular 1,500-tonne barge shipments between Le Havre, Paris and Nogent-sur-Seine)
- Population of 16 million within 150 km
Fast-growing waste recovery industry
- Recycling: WEEE and white goods, PVC joinery, paper for cardboard production
- Biomass operations: dry (combustion, gasification and pyrolysis), wet (methanation) and biofuel production
Latest development: a straw and wood heating plant in the heart of Troyes (SEM Energie)
- Renewable energy
- Wind: France's largest stock of wind turbines, with 617 turbines in Champagne-Ardenne (and a further 498 planned).
Aube has 200 wind turbines operated by Eolfi (a subsidiary of Veolia), Enel Green Power, Enercon, Nordex, REpower, Vestas and Gamesa.
- Solar PV: recent construction of a 22-hectare solar power plant in Romilly-sur-Seine; capacity of 7.5 MWp, enough power for the needs of 3,700 people per year.